Was your vehicle rear-ended while leaving the mall? Did another driver hit your car and flee the scene without stopping and identifying themselves? This is a hit and run. Here’s what you need to know.

Coverage under your contract

Damage caused by a hit and run is covered if you have added All Perils coverage or coverage against perils of collision and upset to your policy (Section B of the policy). Your insurer will compensate you within 60 days of receiving your claim and all supporting documentation. For a quick settlement, make sure you have all the necessary documents. 

Your insurer will deduct the amount of your policy deductible from the compensation amount.

Many insurers offer no-deductible coverage for hit-and-run accidents. Call them to find out! 

If you have no coverage for damage to your vehicle, the SAAQ may compensate you under certain conditions.

Steps to follow

1. Get the police report

Contact the police as soon as possible to report the hit and run and obtain a report number. If you can’t obtain such a report from your local police, contact your insurer or broker directly.

2. Contact your insurer

Call your insurer or broker as soon as possible. Send him a copy of the police report number.

3. Have the damage to the vehicle appraised

This step is necessary to establish the cost of repairs and the terms and conditions to have your vehicle repaired in accordance with current repair techniques.

4. Have the vehicle repaired

At this step, you and your insurer will determine where your vehicle will be repaired.

You may choose your own garage or go to one recommended by your insurer. If you choose the garage yourself, make sure it’s a good one and that the work is done in accordance with the specifications agreed upon with your insurer.

Depending on the agreement, your insurer may compensate you or reimburse the garage directly. 

For more information about auto claims settlement, consult the Groupement des assureurs automobiles website.

Auto tips

Newcomer to insurance: starting out right

You have started to drive. Whether you have a learner's or a probationary licence, you must inform your insurer immediately. Click to find out more.


Be prepared.
Download the Joint Report application!