You can add additional coverage, or endorsements, for certain risks that are not automatically included under your policy. The most popular are those for sewer backup, water seepage and for swimming pools and spas.

Water damage – Ground Water and Sewers Coverage Endorsement

This coverage covers damage caused by ground water, including: 

  • Sudden and accidental seepage of underground or surface water 
  • Sudden and accidental discharge, backing up or overflow from sewer connections 
  • Rising of the water table

Declaration of co-ownership and endorsements

It is very likely that your declaration of co-ownership requires you to have specific coverage (i.e., a pre-determined liability amount, endorsement for sewer back-up, etc.).

Make sure you read your declaration of co-ownership to find out what obligations you and the condo corporation have when it comes to insurance.

Water Damage – Above Ground Water Coverage Endorsement

This coverage covers damage caused by above ground water, including: 

  • Sudden and accidental leaking of rain or snow 
  • Sudden and accidental discharge, backing up or overflow of rain gutters, eaves troughs or downspouts

Do you own a spa or a swimming pool?

To adequately insure them, you’ll need to add additional coverage to your policy. 

Swimming Pool and Spa endorsement covers: 

  • Your spa and swimming pool situated outside of your home 
  • The equipment for its maintenance and for ensuring water quality 
  • The deck or platform to which it is affixed and which is not attached to your home

Earthquakes Endorsement

Earthquake coverage is sold under an endorsement. This protection covers damages resulting from the earthquake itself. The coverage is added to the home insurance policy.

 Note that a number of insured already have coverage for Damage caused by fire following an earthquake. For some, this coverage is included in their home insurance policy, for others, it is added to insurance policy through an endorsement. 

Are endorsements useful for condos?

For co-owner-occupiers, damages caused by sewer back-ups or water infiltrations can no doubt affect your property or your unit’s enhancements. It would be wise to add these additional protections to your home insurance policy.

In addition, additional coverage could be beneficial if the amounts in the condominium corporation’ insurance for the building are insufficient. As a result of damage to the common areas, if the amount of insurance taken out by the condominium’s corporation is not sufficient to pay for the repairs, all the co-owners must then contribute to pay for the repairs. If the damages are not to a common area, the co-owner must pay for the work.


Home tips

Insuring your apartment

As a tenant, you don’t think you need home insurance. Find out if you are right.


Be prepared.
Download the Joint Report application!