About smoke detectors
Will your smoke detectors work, or will you hear them in the event of a fire?
To make sure:
- Install smoke detectors outside bedrooms and on each floor of your home, including the basement.
- Make sure dust doesn't collect on smoke detectors and never paint over them.
- Don't use rechargeable batteries, as they can fail without warning.
- Check smoke detectors at least once a month.
- Replace batteries at least once a year, or better still, whenever you change the clocks forward or back. Change the clocks, change the batteries!
- Replace smoke detectors every 10 years.