The insurance policy for motorcycles, scooters, motocross bikes, snowmobiles and ATV has a 12-month term. However, your annual insurance premium is spread out over six months of use. You can usually drive a motorcycle from March to October, and a snowmobile from November to April. As for ATV, this type of vehicle can be used all year long.

ATV and snowmobiles

The Société d’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ) does not provide any compensation for bodily injury if you have an accident. Except in very specific circumstances, it’s your insurer who pays for bodily injury caused to a third party and for which you are liable.

Minors driving a snowmobile or ATV

In addition to your driver’s licence, you must have a certificate of competence if you are aged 16 or 17. Are you driving without this certificate? Then you risk a fine of $100 for a violation.

To obtain your mandatory certificate of competence, you must have a driver’s licence and take a driving course. These courses are offered by a Quebec government-accredited agency.

What about injuries? It’s up to you to check whether you have the appropriate coverage so that you’re well protected.

All-terrain vehicles

Off-road vehicles drivers are required to have civil liability insurance coverage of at least $1,000,000.

Do you own a motocross bike?  

A motocross bike is considered an off-road vehicle. You are therefore required to have civil liability insurance coverage of at least $1,000,000.

Do you own a scooter?

Do you own a scooter under 50cc? Under the law, you're not required to have liability insurance. However, if you’re not insured, you won't be covered if you accidentally cause damage to others. You can also insure your scooter against theft.

Auto tips

Newcomer to insurance: starting out right

You have started to drive. Whether you have a learner's or a probationary licence, you must inform your insurer immediately. Click to find out more.


Be prepared.
Download the Joint Report application!