Minor accident – No claim

You’ve had a minor accident, and you decide to save money by having your car fixed at your own expense. Should you declare the accident to your insurance company?

The answer is yes.

This matters because if the other driver involved in the accident declares it to his or her insurance company, the accident will be recorded in your file in the Fichier central des sinistres automobiles (FCSA) database.

If you declare the accident, your insurance company will record it in your file, indicating that no indemnity was paid.

This means that whenever an insurance company looks at your FCSA file, it will access your version of what happened.

If you are shopping for car insurance and you are asked if you have had an accident, it’s best to give an honest answer, even if you chose not to file a claim for damages.

Getting a copy of your claims file

You can ask the GAA for a free copy of your FCSA claims file. Click here to find out how to request your file.

The Fichier Central des sinistres automobiles

The FCSA database is a tool, managed by the GAA (Groupement des assureurs automobiles), that allows insurance companies to access your claims history. It records any accident you have been involved in over the past six years.

If you have a spotless record, you may be offered a better price. On the other hand, if, for example, you have filed five claims over the past three years, the insurance company will see you as a higher risk, and this may affect your premium.

The FCSA was established to provide for greater fairness in pricing. Insurance companies use the database to ensure that drivers involved in repeated accidents pay more than those who are not.


Be prepared.
Download the Joint Report application!