Earning extra income may be attractive, but before you think about ride-sharing, contact your insurer. In fact, you need to inform your broker or your insurance company if you make a different use of your vehicle that could raise the risk of incurring a loss.

An Act respecting remunerated passenger transportation by automobile, sanctioned by the government in October 2019, now governs this type of activity, and a bespoke insurance product was developed to meet the needs of drivers.

This insurance provides that compensation for damages when a driver is available to offer transportation services will be provided under the operator’s policy. However, the driver will be compensated as per the coverage included under his own personal insurance policy.

It is therefore important to remind those who carry out this kind of activity that the insurance coverage they choose for their vehicle will be the coverage that will apply if an accident occurs while working as a driver. What has changed is the insurer that provides compensation.

Personal vehicle and business purposes

Even if the driver who provides remunerated passenger transportation is covered under the operator’s endorsement for his business activities, his personal insurer will continue to insure him for the personal use of his vehicle.

Remember that auto insurance policies are drawn up to reflect the activities of the policyholder. Also, some adjustments could be made to your insurance policy depending on how your insurer assesses your situation. One more reason to contact them!

This communication will help better document your policyholder file, and thus facilitate claims settlement. 


Be prepared.
Download the Joint Report application!